Congratulations! You are now a Home Owner! Here is a list of items you will need to complete in order to successfully take possession of your Home on your scheduled possession date.
- If you’re renting make sure you let your landlord know in plenty of time that you won’t be renewing your lease, and make sure you provide them with the date you intend to move out. You don’t want to be charged for an extra month’s rent!
- Select a Lawyer to represent and complete the closing process with you. Provide your agent and lender with the lawyers contact information as important documentation needs to be forwarded in order to generate your closing paperwork. Your lawyer will contact you with an appointment date and time, the appointment is typically 2 to 3 days prior to possession and during normal business hours. Their office will also forward a “closing statement of adjustments” to you. This document will note the remaining deposit amount due at the scheduled appointment; you will need to bring a bank draft for the full amount to the appointment in order to finalize your home purchase.
- Contact an Insurance Brokerage and gain home owner insurance. Proof of Home Insurance must be provided to your Lawyer in order for your closing to proceed. Keep your home inspection report handy to answer any questions asked by the insurance agent that may be applicable, such as “is there a back flow valve or sump pump installed in the home?” In many instances “bundle discounts” are available for insurance so you may want to insure your new home with your existing auto insurance provider. Shopping around by comparing competitors rates is always a good idea!
- One to two weeks prior to possession call your local utility provider to set up your electricity, water and gas services for the day of possession. These services do not involve home access, and can be facilitated through your movesnap concierge account
- At least one week prior to your possession date, call your chosen TV/Internet service provider to set a date for installation. This appointment requires home access and can take up to two weeks for an appointment. Calling in advance will ensure you don’t have to wait to long after possession for these services to be installed. Please do not schedule the installation on your possession date as a time for key release cannot be guaranteed until the day of possession.
- In most cases the mailbox keys will be left behind for you by the previous owner. If you do not receive a set at possession you’ll need to contact Canada Post at 1-800-267-1177 or online at Canadapost.ca to create a service ticket to request new keys. Canada Post will forward a notice card when your keys are ready. You will need to provide government issued ID at the post office indicated on the notice card in order to pick up your keys. Consider also forwarding your mail to your new home address which can also be done online, at any Canada Post location, or in your personal movesnap account .
- Scheduling a time to meet your Agent and take possession of your home is not possible in advance of the possession date. As noted above, all documentation and receipt of funds must be successfully completed with the lawyer to gain key release. Your lawyer will call your agent on the day of possession to notify them when all conditions have been met. At that time the keys to your home will be released. Your Agent will call you to set up the time to meet with you at your new home in order to turn over your home keys. YAY!
- If you are planning to hire some help moving for the big day, now would be a good time to contact a few moving companies to get a quote.
As our Team places a high value on the relationships we build with each of our clients, we will continue to
touch base with you via monthly newsletter and are always happy to chat should you have any future
questions or concerns.